Party wall matters

You have rights where there are shared boundaries.

Most of us share a wall with our neighbour. The Party Wall Act, 1996 protects us when work is being carried out to shared walls.

Carpenter can undertake the duties of the Party Wall Surveyor as required under the Act, and can carry out continuous inspections throughout the works; and arrange for the engagement where necessary.

Party wall mattersAn owner may need to provide his/her neighbour with sufficient information regarding proposed works, in the form of a drawing. As a party wall survey Carpenter can secure these for you and ensure that, whatever the proposal, its carried out to the letter of the law.

Typical works that should require party wall notification:

  • injecting a damp proof course into a shared wall
  • tanking a shared wall
  • installing a concrete lintel, steel girder or timber support into a shared wall
  • underpinning a structure in close proximity to a shared wall
  • building an extension near to a shared wall
  • raising a party wall at roof level to enclose it and build habitable space at roof level
  • building a wall on the property where the foundations may spread into adjoining owner’s property
  • opening up the floors between flats and altering joists, floor constructions etc

If you intend to carry out building work which involves one of the following categories:

  • work on an existing wall or structure shared with another property (section 2 of the Act)
  • building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property (section 1 of the Act)

You must find out whether that work falls within the Act.  If it does, then you musty notify all affected neighbours.  If you need to discuss a party wall matter give Carpenter a call.